The cosmetic benefits of Botox for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles is highly practiced and increasingly popular, particularly in combination with dermal fillers and other facial aesthetics products. However, in reality, Botox is also an extremely effective treatment for the relief of a wide variety of medical conditions and is often the treatment of choice for medical practitioners, particularly for pain management and the relief of muscle spasms.
The cosmetic and aesthetic benefits of Botox treatments first became apparent following the use of this resourceful prescription drug during a muscle-relaxing treatment to realign a squint. A significantly visible effect of this treatment was smoother, softer skin to the treated area. Hence, a new use for this highly diverse drug was born which has subsequently proved the most popular facial aesthetic treatment and is practised throughout the world.
Common conditions for which Botox has proved an effective treatment include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles are eradicated by injecting targeted muscle groups to the forehead, glabella and crows feet areas.
2. Masseter Jaw Reduction
- Jaw muscles are relaxed causing narrowing to a wide, masculine face.
- Sympathetic nerves that supply the eccrine glands are blocked, thus eliminating the production of sweat.
4. Creating Smiles
- The corners of the mouth are injected to slightly turn them up, creating a more pleasant appearing smile.
5. Muscle Spasms & Twitching
- Specific muscle groups are injected to relieve involuntary eyelid closure, eye twitching, face, jaw and neck spasms, vocal chord spasms, and even stuttering.
6. Chronic Migraines
- Used as a preventive treatment for chronic migraines by relaxing muscles and blocking pain signals.
- Botox is injected into the relevant extra-ocular muscle, thus relaxing the muscle, giving the impression of an aligned gaze.
8. Parkinsons Disease
- Used to loosen tight spastic muscles, thus relieving associated pain, usually in combination with physical treatments to stretch newly loosened muscles
- Common and popular treatment where Botox causes weakness in the targeted muscle, thus relaxing the spasm and relieving dystonia.
10. Relax Bands in the Neck
- Used to soften vertical lines in the neck and stimulate a neck lift.
11. Cerebral Palsy
- Used as a therapeutic muscle-relaxing agent that reduces the rigidity of muscles or unwanted spasms. Benefits include ease in stretching, improvement in range of motion, tolerance to wearing braces and developmental improvements in crawling, standing, or gait changes.
12. Bruxism/Jaw Clenching
- Relief of facial pain and excessive wear on teeth which can be treated by weakening the most spastic part of the very large masseter/jaw muscle without affecting the ability to chew.
13. Overactive Bladder
- Injected into the base of the bladder to relieve the problems associated with an overactive bladder.
14. Dimpled Chin
- By relaxing the muscles in the chin, thereby reducing the appearance of “golf ball chin” as it is sometimes referred.
15. Smelly Feet
- Treated by injecting Botox to block the nerves that encourage the sweat glands to produce excessive sweat and therefore bacteria.
- The treatment of choice for blepharospasm. When injected into muscles, it temporarily weakens the muscles.
17. Breast lift
- By injecting the pectoral muscles with Botox, breast tissue can be temporarily lifted.
18. Face lift
- Lift and contour the entire face by manipulating larger muscles that dictate your current face shape.
19. Urinary Retention
- Prevents reflex micturition through inhibition of parasympathetic and gamma-neurone innervation.
20. Urge Incontinence
- Injected into the smooth muscle of the bladder to both enlarge its functional capacity and prevent reflex
The use of this miracle prescription drug is closely controlled and regulated by the MHRA. It has been approved for the treatment of a wide variety of medical and cosmetic conditions. As a highly effective and convenient treatment, the use of Botox as a non-surgical procedure has become the treatment of choice for often painful, uncomfortable and embarrassing conditions.
Produced by Melior Clinics of Harley Street – Facial Aesthetics & Pain Relief Specialists