The office Christmas do is your big chance to show colleagues, and your boss, just how fabulous you can look! And wrinkles definitely aren't invited. This article looks at how far in advance you need to have your anti-wrinkle treatments to look great on the day of the party.
OK, hands up, we’re as guilty as the next clinic of focusing on the benefits of our treatments for women. But as it’s the run up to Father’s Day we’re going to reverse this trend and turn our attention to you gents!
Whether you’re just dipping your toes into the aesthetics pool or you’re already an advanced practitioner of male grooming, we have the perfect treatment to help you look and feel great.
About male skin
Not all skin is the same and, after puberty, men’s skin tends to differ from women’s in several important ways:
- Due to higher levels of testosterone, men’s skin is about 25% thicker than women’s skin. Men’s skin thins gradually over their lifetime whereas women’s skin only really starts to thin after the menopause.
- Men have a greater density of collagen in the skin, which is thought to be why they age less rapidly than women do. As a result, men’s skin can be genetically around 15 years younger than women’s skin – although the reduced use of sunscreen by men can nullify this advantage.
- The muscle mass under the skin tends to be stronger in men than women.
- Men’s skin is rougher and the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the skin, or literally translated, the “horny layer”!) is thicker.
- Due to higher levels of sebum production men’s skin tends to be oilier and more acne prone. It is also thought that there may be a relationship between increased sebum production and the rosacea symptom rhinophyma (a swelling of the nose skin which only occurs in men).
- Generally men’s skin tends to be naturally better hydrated than women’s, possibly because of the higher level of sweat production.
It’s important to receive aesthetic and well-being treatments from a practitioner who understands these differences and can adapt your treatment accordingly.
Our treatments for men
On the whole men and women are looking for the same thing from our treatments – to improve specific conditions and to have an overall rejuvenated look. All of our aesthetic treatments are available to both male and female patients, however these are the ones which our male clients tend to benefit from the most:
Botox (or “Brotox”) anti-wrinkle injections
Much talked about in recent years, and dubbed “Brotox”, Botox treatments are becoming increasingly popular among men who want to turn back the years and banish those wrinkles.
You can use Botox to deal with lines on your forehead, between your eyes (frown lines) and the outside corners of your eyes (crow’s feet/laughter lines).
Due to the differences in muscle mass under the skin men tend to require a higher dose of Botox than women do however, unlike many clinics, we charge the same price to men and women.
Laser hair removal
Thanks to having more androgens (sex hormones such as testosterone) men tend towards coarser body hair which is often more abundant in the chest, back and facial areas.
While a natural part of manhood, this thicker hair can sometimes grow in places and ways that we’re not happy with. Laser hair removal provides an effective and painless solution to permanently remove a few nuisance hairs or to smooth out larger areas (also known as “manscaping”!).
Laser hair removal can also be used to deal with ingrown hairs.
Hyperhidrosis treatment with Botox
Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) can be an embarrassing issue over the summer, with some sufferers finding that they need to change shirts several times a day due to the excess perspiration.
Botox injections are an effective treatment for hyperhidrosis, significantly reducing sweating in up to 95% of cases.
A chemical skin peel can really benefit men’s skin, particularly for those who are prone to acne. The procedure is designed to remove old, dead skin cells at the surface of the skin, promoting the growth of new skin cells. The result is smoother, healthier and younger looking skin.
We offer a range of skin peel options tailored to your skin type and the results you are looking for, for example to treat fine lines, smooth shallow acne scars, improve rough skin and reduce enlarged pores.
Father’s Day gift
If you think your Dad needs a bit of pampering this Father’s Day, but you’re not sure which treatment would suit him best, then why not give him a Melior Clinics gift voucher so he can decide for himself?
Our vouchers are perfect for any occasion; anniversaries, birthday or just because you think they deserve a treat!
Speak to our experts
If you’re not sure which treatment will help you achieve the results you desire then book in for a free consultation with one of our skincare experts. They’ll assess your skin, discuss the options and recommend a treatment plan which is tailored to you.