What are crow’s feet?
‘Crow’s feet’ is the term given to the fine lines and wrinkles that fan out from the edges of our eyes towards the temples. They are so called because they resemble the shape of a bird’s claw. Their medical term is lateral canthal lines and they are extremely common.
These lines are a natural feature of the ageing process, and depending on factors such as your unique muscularity, skin type, and level of sun exposure, they can be deeper and more obvious in some people.
Crow’s feet, which begin as laughter lines, are one of the earliest signs of ageing, and can appear from the late twenties to early thirties.
Lines such as these can be dynamic (meaning they are only apparent through facial expression) or static (visible all the time even when your facial muscles are at rest).
What causes crow’s feet?
The principal cause of these lines is the contraction of the orbicularis oculi muscle, which is situated in the eyelids.
Facial expression through everyday emotion, whether smiling and laughing, frowning and concentrating, causes this muscle to contract and create crow’s feet.
The skin around the eyes is naturally thinner and more delicate than on other parts of the body. As we age, the firmness and elasticity of our skin reduces as collagen and elastin naturally decrease. These aspects combined make the eye area more susceptible to wrinkles.
Another key contributor to crow’s feet forming is sun exposure. UV rays affect the skin at a cellular level; therefore, crow’s feet can also be a sign of sun damage. Squinting in sunlight can also influence the appearance of these lines.
Protecting your skin by using sunscreen of at least SPF30, wearing sunglasses, eating healthily, drinking plenty of water and moisturising your skin are all ways in which lines and wrinkles can be minimised. However, the effects of ageing are inevitable and crow’s feet are one of the most common features.
Treatment options for crow’s feet
There is a wide range of treatments available from Melior Clinics, which can reduce the appearance of crow’s feet and significantly improve the texture and tone of your skin in general.
- Botox can be used to carefully reduce muscle activity in certain areas of the skin to manage existing wrinkles, and prevent more from forming.
Botox before and after: crow’s feet
- Dermal fillers can be strategically placed to hydrate and plump the skin to fill out deeper lines and folds.
- Skin boosters, such as Profhilo, are a gentle and effective way to deliver deep hydration and significantly improve overall skin texture, so that fine lines are less visible.
- Deeply exfoliating peels are a highly effective approach to targeting fine lines, as they encourage the skin to naturally regenerate to restore vitality.
- Skin resurfacing treatments such as mesotherapy or laser rejuvenation may also be a recommended approach to target crow’s feet, to improve the overall appearance of your skin.
- We are distributors of leading cosmeceutical products. At a skin consultation with our dermatologist, we can recommend a regime to manage your skin health for the long term.
Our patients receive a free consultation so that our expert practitioners can identify the best treatment for your individual needs.
How do I know which treatment is right for me?
Before any treatment is agreed you will receive a free consultation with one of our experts. They will assess your skin and provide you with a recommended treatment plan. They’ll be realistic about the results which can be achieved, so you’ll know exactly what to expect.
How quickly will I see results?
Depending on the treatment that is recommended for you, the full effect may evolve over several days or weeks.
With dermal fillers and botox, results tend to be almost immediate.
With skin boosters and peels, you will see the full effects after about a week.
Your practitioner will ensure you are fully aware of what to expect and any aftercare requirements.
How long do results last?
The effects of most of our treatments last for between three to six months. Our experts will ensure you are aware of the relevant timeframes and whether any follow up treatment is recommended.
Our qualified practitioners
Helping you look and feel great
Why choose Melior Clinics?
Our experts will help you look and feel great